“Hey, Alexa, set the temperature to 70 degrees." "OK, Google, turn the temperature down two degrees." With home voice assistants like Amazon Echo or Google Home, it's easier than ever to control your home's temperature with simple voice commands.
In fact, many of today’s smart thermostats, like Carrier’s Côr thermostats, have Amazon Echo built right into them. That means you can control your home’s temperature, order groceries, and get the day’s weather report all by talking to your thermostat!
But how do you integrate a voice assistant with your smart thermostat? Here are step-by-step directions to pair your thermostat with Alexa. (Please note that these steps apply to a Carrier Côr thermostat. Steps for a different smart thermostat and/or voice assistant will vary.)
Pairing Your Devices
- Open your Alexa app and login.
- Open the menu (three horizontal lines in the upper left corner).
- Tap Smart Home, then Get More Smart Home Skills.
- Type “Cor” in the Search field.
- Tap Enable.
- Type in your thermostat’s login information.
- Tap Accept (under Authorize App).
- Tap Discover Devices to complete the link between the app and your thermostat.
Using Alexa with Your Thermostat
Once it’s paired with Alexa, there are a few simple voice commands you can use to control your thermostat. Here are the most common variations.
To set your temp:
- “Alexa, set my (thermostat name) to (temp) degrees.”
- “Alexa, set (thermostat name) to (temp).”
- “Alexa, change the temperature to (temp).” Alexa will ask you to confirm which device; just say the thermostat’s name.
To raise your temp:
- “Alexa, increase the (thermostat name) temperature.” Alexa will automatically raise the temperature as many degrees as you specified.
- “Alexa, raise the (thermostat name) by (number) degrees.” Alexa will raise the temperature by the specified number of degrees.
To lower your temp:
- “Alexa, lower the (thermostat name) temperature.” Alexa will automatically lower the temperature by two degrees.
- “Alexa, decrease the (thermostat name) by (number) degrees.” Alexa will lower the temperature by the specified number of degrees.
Not sure what the right temperature is for your home? Check out our recent blog to find out what will work best for you.
Haven’t invested in a smart thermostat yet? Why not contact an HVAC professional for a review of your system and a quote on bringing it up to date with the latest technology. Use our convenient dealer locator to find a trusted professional in your area.