For most of us, buying a new furnace, like any major appliance purchase, is a pretty big deal. So you want to be sure you have all of the information you need to make the right decision. After all, it’s a decision you’ll likely to be living with—literally—for the next 15 or more years. So let’s take a look at some of the questions you’ll want to ask during your HVAC buying process and other considerations that will go into making your final decision.
What’s the Best Time of Year to Buy a New Furnace?
There are actually two times of the year that are optimal for buying a new HVAC system: fall and spring. Both are slower times of the year for HVAC professionals, so they’re both good times for scheduling installation. In addition, you may be able to negotiate your best installation price, perhaps the biggest variable in the cost of your new system.
There are actually two times of the year that are optimal for buying a new HVAC system: fall and spring. Again, it’s “down time” for HVAC contractors, plus it’s the time of year that you’re most likely to find sales, rebates, and competitive financing options.
Is it Time to Buy a New System or Should I Wait a Little Longer?
For some homeowners, deciding when to replace an old system is a key question. You definitely don’t want to wait until your old system fails entirely—because we all know that usually happens in the dead of winter! But you also want to make sure you’ve done your research and that you’ve gotten the most out of the system you already have. Here are some things to consider before deciding:
- How old is your current system? Most HVAC systems will last 10-15 years. If yours is 15 or more years old, you’ll definitely want to consider replacing it. Even if it’s working just fine, advances in technology mean there are more efficient HVAC options available today.
- How efficient is your system? A really simple way to tell if you have a less efficient system is to look at the venting. If it’s metal, your furnace is running in the 65-80% range. If it’s plastic, you have a more recent model that is running in the high-efficiency range of 90% or higher.
What Should I Look for in a Manufacturer?
Reputation is key when considering manufacturers. And that is often coupled with how long the company has been in business. We confidently recommend Carrier because of their excellent reputation and products.
Now you may be asking youself: What furnace should I buy? There are many options and features available today that you’ll want to consider. Here are a few:
- Fuel efficiency. Especially if you have an older system that runs at a lower efficiency, you’ll definitely want to consider one of the new, higher-efficiency units.
- Air Quality. Today’s HVAC systems can include very sophisticated air filtering features that contribute to home comfort and support your family’s health.
- Smart Thermostats. There are many to choose from that offer convenient control of your system.
Deciding on a new HVAC system is a big step. To help you get started, check out our top HVAC recommendations for 2017.