When you decide to make a major investment in your home—like a new air conditioning system—it’s only natural to want to know you’re getting the best deal, the best products, and the best service for your money. That’s the reason you take the time to research your options and consult with professionals. But how can you tell if ac dealers are advising you on the best system for your situation? Here are some tips to help.
Talk to Reputable Dealers
Your first step in finding the right dealer with the best deal is to check out their reputation. Basic information you’ll want to gather includes:
- How many years have they been in business?
- Do they have a physical office or shop? How long have they been at that location?
- Can they provide you with references from satisfied customers? Are any of those customers in your neighborhood?
- What certifications or trainings do their technicians and installers have?
- What products do they offer and why?
- What customer services do they provide. For example, do they have a 24-hour emergency line? Do they offer annual inspection and maintenance services? Phone consultation for general questions?
Check out our recent article for more information on what to look for in an HVAC Dealer.
Schedule a Home Visit
Once you’ve narrowed the field to the dealers you want estimates from, you’ll want to make an appointment for them to come out and take a look at your system. The dealer should make their recommendations based on two things:
- A thorough assessment of your system. Keep in mind that your AC is only one part of your overall HVAC system. Your furnace, any options you may have (humidifier, dehumidifier, air purifier, and so on), and your ductwork are all factors that need to be considered. That’s why it’s so important to work with a top-notch AC dealer—they understand that all of those components must work together in harmony.
- What is and isn’t important to you about your system? Not all ACs are created equal. Initial cost, long-term energy efficiency and savings, sound levels, ease of maintenance, and warranty all vary. So it’s important that you let the dealer know what your priorities are.
Ask the Right Questions
Once you’ve had your home visit and discussed your priorities and the requirements of your system, you can generally trust a reputable AC dealer with their recommendations. At the same time, there are key questions you can ask in order to make your final decision:
- Why do you recommend this system for my home, for me?
- Will it save me money? How much and over what time frame?
- What’s the warranty on the system? Does that include parts and labor?
- What can I expect for maintenance costs? Can I do maintenance myself?
- How many of these systems have you installed?
- Have you had any problems with them?
- Are parts readily available in case of any problems?
- Are your installers trained on this specific product?
Seek an Independent Opinion
At Stay Comfy, our mission is to provide education on the best products on the market. That’s all we do and we have top experts in the field to advise you. Check out our dealer locator for reputable dealers in your area.